Diplomatic Briefing

Your exclusive news aggregator handpicked daily!

Newsline: Canadian embassy says its officials were denied access to trial of billionaire in China

Chinese authorities have blocked Canadian government representatives from attending the trial of Chinese-Canadian billionaire Xiao Jianhua, the Canadian embassy said on Tuesday. “Canada made several requests to attend the trial proceedings,” public diplomacy counsellor at the embassy, Nadia Scipio del Campo, said in an emailed statement sent to reporters. “Our attendance was denied by Chinese authorities.” When asked for further details such as to confirm the location of the trial, the embassy said it would not comment further due to privacy considerations. (https://news.yahoo.com/canada-says-officials-were-denied-041204400.html) Xiao, who went missing in Hong Kong five years ago, was due to go on trial in China on Monday and Canadian consular officials had been pressing for consular access, the embassy said earlier in a statement.

No comments yet»

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: